Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Humorless in Seattle

Adam and Heather came over the other night for dinner. (Pot roast...yumm!) They are also from the south (NC) but moved here via Boston. Our conversation was all over the place as usual but something Heather said struck a chord with me. She is working part time at a nursery and she mentioned that the customers don't get her sense of humor. One lady walked off in a huff apparently not sensing the humor in what Heather was saying. I have experienced this as well.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself to be a Robin Williams or Jim Carrey but in my time and place, I can be quite funny. Well, my time and place ain't Seattle. When I try to be funny here, people stare at me like I just killed the pope or something. People that are from the south laugh and people that know me laugh but others...forget about it. Did I become instantly unfunny crossing the Continental Divide? I don't think so. Apparently there is a huge cultural difference that causes this but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I will admit that, in my opinion, people take themselves way too seriously out here. I, for one, would like to see them loosen up a bit. It's okay to not be seen reading the latest intellectual bestseller while sipping coffee at the local joint. This goes for you Christians too. Put down the Donald Miller for a while and pick up Calvin and Hobbes. Seattle, you need a laugh.

No comments: