Friday, July 28, 2006

Going Postal!

Recently, I've been in the throes of my new art project which is making collages from old postcards. My friends and family have responded to my need for postcards with great generosity. I'm usually more attracted to the side that has the writing on it. I just love the interaction of the handwriting, the description of what's on front and the various marks the USPS puts on them. I never know what part of the postcard is going to inspire the theme. Sometimes it's the description...other times it's something in the handwritten text. I'm having a great time with it though. I just wish there were more hours in the day for me to dedicate to this project. (and I still get inspired to do the odd piece of artwork that is non-postcard related)
If you'd like to see some of my postcard related art, you can click here.
And now, I must report a miracle. Today, a lady donated some items to the theatre. Little did I know that my wife had spoken to her on the phone before. The theatre wanted everything she had except for 4 boxes of...wait for it...antique postcards! There are literally thousands of them. About 1/4 of them are written on and have dates from 1909 to the 1970's. The rest are not written on but are equally as old. There are some real beauts in the bunch. I think I'm going to post some of the funnier or more interesting of the cards on this blog so stay tuned, faithful friends. Marty's gone postal!

No comments: