Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Booklist

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
This story concerns a group of people in Central Florida of 1959 striving to survive in a world devastated by nuclear war. If you've ever seen my list of favorite books of all time you know that this book is one it. I've been reading it every few years since I was in high school. Although the tiniest bit dated it's still a great story. I would love to see this turned into a movie but I wouldn't want to see it updated but set in 1959. Updating it would destroy everything I love about the book: the characters, their relationships, the survival tactics, etc. If you've never read this, give it a try.

Wally's World: the Brilliant Life and Tragic Death of Wally Wood, the World's 2nd Best Comic Book Artist by Steve Starger and J. David Spurlock
The title tells what the book is about. What it doesn't tell is how crappy this book is. It's poorly written and the authors so often spin off on tangent material that you forget what the book is about. I found myself skipping lengthy portions to get to the meat of the story. Do yourself a favor and skip the whole book. If you want to know about Wally Wood, go read about him at Wikipedia.

No comments: