Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Booklist

 I'm back to recording my books read. I'm starting w/ only what I've read so far in 2012 so I can keep up with the year. My goal is to read at least 1 book a week. I'm a bit of a slow reader.


A Fine Dark Line by Joe R. Lansdale
A pretty good southern gothic coming-of-age tale about a boy who investigates a decades old murder. Not as good as his The Bottoms but worth a read.


All Earth, Thrown to the Sky by Joe R. Lansdale
Another southern gothic story. It's a genre I like. This story centers on 3 orphans trying to escape the Dustbowl and a couple of gangsters. I enjoyed it for what it was. 


Gilliam on Gilliam by Terry Gilliam
A biography/interview with one of my favorite directors. Although his work of late has been lacking, I count Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Time Bandits and The Fisher King as some of my favorite films. This book is an insight into his early career. It bogs down a bit in places but an interesting read nonetheless.


The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott
I read a couple of other books by Scott (Vampires of Hollywood, The Alchemyst) and liked them so I thought I'd give this new one a try. It's not as good as the others. The story stayed fairly shallow. By the end of the book it felt like not enough had happened to get the story to the end.

Ape House by Sara Gruen
An inconsistently good story about some Bonobo apes who are kidnapped and used as fodder for a reality show. The human characters stories jumped around a lot. It seemed scattershot. The main story of the apes triumphed over those flaws and I really liked it.

No comments: