Thursday, January 12, 2006

Booklist

The Visitation by Frank Peretti - I generally don't like Christian fiction but I am a fan of Peretti's and Sarah had this one on the shelf so I thought I'd give it a go. It's a good one. In the book, a small town preacher in Washington State loses his faith and his pulpit after the death of his wife. A false messiah takes up residence in town and everyone is shaken to the core of their beliefs.
There's a lot of truth in this book even though it's fiction. I particularly enjoyed the main characters flashbacks to his growth in faith and ministry. Peretti certainly steps on a lot of feet when it comes to portraying the local church. None of these things happened to me exactly but things like them have happened to me. Everything in this book could be based on truth Peretti heard about church life somewhere. He's just changed the names to protect the sinners.
So, on a fiction, intrigue level...it's a good book. On relating truth through fiction, it's a winner.

2 comments:

What Would Jesus Glue? said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Travis. As you can see, it's full of random ramblings. I'll be sure to check yours out.

Unknown said...

Been a while since I read this one. (Summer Company trip God knows when) Not a huge Peretti fan, but I did like this one a lot. His kids series is pretty good. In some ways better than his regular stuff.