Monday, January 23, 2006

Lemmings

Sarah and I have been talking a lot lately about the current state of the church and our individual crises of faith. Sarah is much more patient than I about all the crap that is done in the name of God. I get so mad that God allows this crap to go on and on and on. Then Sarah explained that it will always be this way because we are all full of sin. Then I talk about how stupid people are to follow anything and everything that's floating around out there. Sarah then explains to me that people are like lemmings. (Although Jesus called them sheep, another dumb animal) Lemmings follow each other off a cliff in mass numbers, killing themselves. (There is some debate to whether this is true or not) People do this too. They follow each other, searching for the truth. Some find it, others do not. Many are like the lemmings. They are following a lie to their eventual deaths. Paul talked about this in Ephesians.
"Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming." (Eph. 4:14)
I wish God would explain to me why he allows false teachers to thrive. Until he does, at least I have Sarah to calm me down.

No comments: