Saturday, November 11, 2006

Protest of Mark Driscoll

Mark Driscoll, pastor of Mars Hill church in Seattle, has recently come under fire for comments he made on his blog after the Ted Haggard situation broke. In particular, folks seem to have a problem with this statement:

"Most pastors I know do not have satisfying, free, sexual conversations and liberties with their wives. At the risk of being even more widely despised than I currently am, I will lean over the plate and take one for the team on this. It is not uncommon to meet pastors’ wives who really let themselves go; they sometimes feel that because their husband is a pastor, he is therefore trapped into fidelity, which gives them cause for laziness. A wife who lets herself go and is not sexually available to her husband in the ways that the Song of Songs is so frank about is not responsible for her husband’s sin, but she may not be helping him either."*


Frankly, Driscoll is known for his fundamental views towards women. In a nutshell, he believes every woman should quit their job, stay home and have babies. Those of you who believe Mars Hill to be an emergent church are sadly mistaken. It's a fundy to be sure.
I understand why people are upset. Sarah and I visited Mars Hill a couple of times and she left feeling as though she had been attacked as a woman. I didn't understand at the time but it's starting to come through loud and clear now.
Well, someone has decided that they are going to protest Mars Hill and Driscoll on Sunday, December 3. Will it do any good? No. Will I be there? I don't know. Originally, it was planned for Nov. 19th but it got moved back. Part of me wants to go and see how it's handled and another part of me wants to stay far away. Anyway, there's alot more to it and, if you're interested, you can read about it for yourself.

Driscoll's comments are here.*

The conversation is here.

Protest links are here and here.

*Source: Resurgence: Mark Driscoll's Blog

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://flickr.com/photos/65302759@N00/295916584/

Anonymous said...

The more I read about Mark Driscoll, the more I see people using the word "misogynist" to describe him.

Yikes. That's an awful thing to be said of ANY Christian.

If that word is new to your vocab (as it was for me), here's fairly decent definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogynist

pax,
meb