Monday, February 05, 2007

Booklist

Heaven: Season One by Mur Lafferty
"What if Heaven wasn't all it's cracked up to be? Friends Kate and Daniel find that after their untimely deaths, Heaven leaves them dissatisfied and itching for something... else. So they're off, with a passport to discover more afterlifes, heroes and gods. During their adventures, they find out that their travel isn't a journey taken on a whim, but may be orchestrated, or even prophesied."*
I enjoyed this podiobook at first, but the story took a turn I didn't care for once the female narrator/character disappeared. It's too bad because I found the premise to be interesting and full of potential. I guess she just didn't take it where I thought it would go. I haven't decided whether to listen to the next season in which the characters descend into hell.
I like that sites like Podiobooks give unpublished writers a chance to be read/heard. I will definitely be listening to more of these when I get the chance.
I love my iPod.
The Mist by Stephen King
A strange mist full of strange creatures envelops a small town in Maine and the people trapped in the local grocery store must fight for survival.
This is a short story in the compilation book Skeleton Crew. I read it many, many years ago but wanted to re-read this story. It's a great little monster story. I understand that Frank Darabont is developing it for a feature film. I know I said I gave up on King a long time ago but I still enjoy his older stuff.

1 comment:

Princess Scientist said...

Thanks for commenting on Heaven - your opinion is one I've heard before. If it makes any difference, the POV in Hell is consistently Kate's (except for one third-person POV where Kate isn't present).

Regardless, I appreciate you listening.