Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Yeah...No...It's Nukular!

There are things in this world that send me over the edge...that drive me completely batty! Most of them have to do with people mangling the language. That being said, I know that I am a Southerner and have been known to do a little mangling myself. With that admission out of the way, I present a couple of the ones that set my teeth on edge.
Yeah...no - What is this all about? This has popped up in the last decade. Someone will say something like, "Yeah...no...I understand." Well, do you understand or don't you? You just contradicted yourself. I actually hear this on TV in scripted shows. Are these written in? If so...why? Yeah...no...I don't get it.
Nukular - People, (and this includes especially President Bush) for the last blessed time, it is pronounced noo-klee-er. Now, here's a site that explains why Bush (and others) pronounce it nyoo-kyu-ler but I don't care. And no, I don't care that dictionaries are now including the incorrect pronunciation. It's just plain wrong. Do we look out the window and say, "My it's a nice day. The sky is so kular"? No, It's clear. When Bush goes on a picnic does he put his soda in a clear? No, in a cooler. I rest my case.
Realitor - As in realtor (ree-uhl-ter), as in someone who sells houses. And where they work is a realty (reel-tee) not a reality. Although it is their reality, it is not a reel-uh-tee.
Wow, so glad to get that off my chest. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting at the moment. If you guys have anything, send them my way.

No comments: