Thursday, August 14, 2008

Folks from the Past

I was just reading my friend Adam's blog where he had posted pics of his parents from a recent visit. It was so good to see them. For those of you who don't know, Adam's dad was my youth minister when I was a teen. He was also the church's minister of music. No matter how old I get they will always be Bro. Gary and Miss Becky. I suppose if you wanted incriminating stuff about me from that era, he'd be one of the best sources but I'm not putting you in touch with him. I know that me and my cronies tested Bro. Gary's patience but he was a lot of fun.
I could reel off a bunch of memories but I don't have time for that. I'll just keep it to one or two. One of the things that sits at the forefront of my mind is that, at the time, we were convinced that he was a ninja. Now, we didn't know what a ninja was at that time but Bro. Gary sure fit the description. I remember at one camp we stayed in these cabins that were set up high off the ground. At night, when we were getting ready for hijinx, we would look out the windows on all sides to see if the coast was clear. 9 times out of 10, Bro. Gary was out there watching us. And it was if he was teleporting from behind one tree to the next. We would call out, "He's over here," and then a second later someone else would call out, "No, he's over here." Spooky.
Gosh, I'm just flooded with good memories here. I was an adult when this happened...a counselor at a youth camp...and we had a talent show. Bro. Gary and Miss Becky got up there and did this weird flashlight up the nose thing to "Dueling Banjos." So funny.
Good memories.

1 comment:

adam said...

funny for you...embarrassing as a teenager...good grief..by the way, i have my dad's email if interested i can be bought...