Monday, November 24, 2008

Booklist

Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee, Scott Williams

Hush is a 2002-2003 comic book story arc that ran through the Batman monthly series. It was written by Jeph Loeb, and penciled by Jim Lee, inked by Scott Williams and colored by Alex Sinclair. The story depicts a mysterious stalker, head wrapped in bandages, called Hush, who seems intent on sabotaging Batman from afar, and utilizes a large number of guest appearances by Batman villains. It also emphasizes the romantic feelings between Batman and Catwoman.

I really, really liked this graphic novel. In the book, Batman is dark, moody, haunted, and pissed...the way I like my Batman. The writing is top-notch. I've never read anything by Jeph Loeb before. This won't be my last. I've always regarded Jim Lee as a talented artist but after he arrived on the scene too many people started emulating his style and it got old fast. I was hesitant to read this because of Lee. I'm glad I overcame my bias. This is the best art I've seen him do and Scott Williams inks over Lee's pencils is perfect. I also liked the watercolor art that is used to show flashbacks. I think I would eventually buy this graphic novel for my collection. It's that good.


Batman: Harley and Ivy by Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and others

The sexy, madcap super-villain duo of Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy plan to take down Batman once and for all in this uproariously funny volume. But first, Harley has to convince Ivy that she has what it takes to be a villain in Gotham City!

Yes, it seems I've been in a Batman mood of late. I've just lucked out and found some graphic novels that I've actually wanted to read at the library lately. That said, I also enjoyed this book but especially the stories illustrated by Bruce Timm (or in his style). Timm is the main guy behind the visual greatness of Batman: The Animated Series. I love the retro/modern look of his art. Besides that, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are great characters especially when teamed. I wasn't as big a fan of the Joe Chiodo illustrated story. He is very talented but I can sometimes be a purist when it comes to comic book art. Most of the time I prefer the penciled/inked look over a painted one. This time that proved to be the case.

No comments: