Saturday, March 14, 2009

Who Watches the Watchmen?

I did. Last Saturday. I thought I had written about it on here but I guess I haven't. Oops.
I liked the movie. In fact, I enjoyed it very much. As a not-so-die-hard fan of the book (I think it's over-rated) I've only read it once. My impressions of the film are:
- For me, it works better as a film. They cut out all the stuff that slowed the book down for me. Still, I think a few minutes could have been knocked off the film as it is. I'm curious about the director's cut that is being released in June. It's supposedly 25 minutes longer. I'm not sure it needs it but I'm open to the possibility.
- The best part of the film for me was Jackie Earl Haley's portrayal of Rorschach. He was incredible. That guy deserves a comeback and I hope he gets it.
- The funniest thing that happened during the film was during the debut of Dr. Manhattan's blue johnson. The theatre was dead quiet then a girl near the front yelled, "Oh, shit!" Hilarious. Later, when Manhattan is descending some stairs and his indigo willy is about to get a close-up (thankfully it didn't) you could feel the nervous tension in the room along with a few giggles.
- This was the first time we had attended a movie at the Cinerama. It is a fantastic, renovated theatre from the 60's with state-of-the-art sound and a huge screen. It won't be the last time we go to a movie there.
Like I said, I really enjoyed the film and would like to see it again. I know it didn't do well on it's second weekend so it might not be long before we see it on DVD. It looks great though so do yourself a favor and see it on the big screen at least once.

1 comment:

jon p. said...

I finally saw it, tonight. It didn't stay in first-run long enough for me to catch it, so I waited anxiously for it to hit our local discount theater.

While I haven't read the novel, I agree with your enjoyment of the film. I thought they did some fine stuff with characters, visuals, pacing, storytelling, etc. All around, I liked it a lot. Even at almost three hours, I wasn't quite ready for it to end; guess I'll have to wait for the extended director's cut.