Saturday, November 28, 2009

Booklist

Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt
When physicist Michael Shelborne mysteriously vanishes, his son Shel discovers that he had constructed a time travel device. Fearing his father may be stranded in time - or worse - Shel enlists the aid of Dave MacElroy, a linguist, to accompany him on the rescue mission. Their journey through history takes them from the enlightenment of Renaissance Italy through the American Wild West to the civil-rights upheavals of the 20th century. Along the way, they encounter a diverse cast of historical greats, sometimes in unexpected situations. Yet the elder Shelborne remains elusive. And then Shel violates his agreement with Dave not to visit the future. There he makes a devastating discovery that sends him fleeing back through the ages, and changes his life forever.

I really enjoyed this book. While I almost didn't pick it up because of the title (dumb if you ask me) I'm glad I took a chance. It's a very smart, realistic portrayal of time travel. The story is more about the people than the technical stuff. The plot is reminiscent of Timeline by Michael Crichton but far more satisfying. I think I've read 2 books by McDevitt now. The first, Eternity Road, was only so-so for me. It made me hesitate to read more by this author. Now I'm ready to find more. Has anyone out there read any other books by him? Can you recommend something?

1 comment:

goob44 said...

I've read Moonfall, it was interesting. Sort of like Deep Impact and Armageddon.
I'll have to take a look at this one.