Monday, April 11, 2011

Nana

I was talking to my mom a little bit ago and she reminded me that 32 years ago today we buried my Nana. (The picture is of Nana and my mom) Naturally this got me thinking about my Nana and what a wonderful person she was. She was the greatest grandmother anyone could ever want to have. I have no doubt that I am an artist today because of her influence. She was pretty creative herself. She used sit in her chair and do Tri-Chem (tracing patterns with colored paint in tubes) on pillowcases and other stuff. She made Christmas wreaths out of the plastic rings that hold beer cans together. (My Papa drank a lot of beer so these were plentiful) And she always had stuff around for me to be creative with. Sketch pads, pens, pencils, blocks, army men, toy dinosaurs, etc.
She also nurtured my creativity in other ways. She let me watch monster movies on TV. Every day during the week they had The Big Show at 3pm on one of the local stations and every once in a while they would show old monster movies. I loved 'em! She also let me watch all the crazy comedy shows I liked like Gilligan's Island, The Lucy Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, etc. Her biggest sacrifice was to take me to movies to see stuff I know she had no interest in at all. She once took me to see Battle for the Planet of the Apes because she knew I wanted to see it. That's an awesome Nana!
She did tons of other stuff, too. Way too much to mention here. I just wanted to say that Nana's on my mind today. She was the best.

No comments: