Friday, July 15, 2005

Booklist

What I've read or am reading:
Illegal Alien by Robert J. Sawyer - Seemingly benevolent aliens land on earth and are treated well until there's a murder. What ensues is the first trial involving extraterrestrial life. I don't usually read sci-fi but Sawyer does it well. The characters are not overshadowed by the technology. He's more about character than weird space stuff.
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim Harrison - Second in a series about a bounter hunter/witch who operates in a post-plague America where regular citizens mix with supernatural creatures like vampires, werewolves, and pixies. I'm much more into fantasy than sci-fi but I prefer fantasy set in the modern world rather than Lord of the Rings type stuff.
Vigil by Robert Massello - A fallen angel released from a fossil wreaks havoc on New York city. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would because the author chose the low road and not much happened. He did leave it open for a sequel but I'm not sure I'll go there.
Fragments by James F. David - This is a re-read. It's immensely enjoyable. Scientists use computer technology to join several autistic children together to form a new entity, blending their various skills into one new creation. Of course, something goes wrong and chaos ensues. Wouldn't be a good story if it didn't. I highly recommend this one.

No comments: