Friday, July 15, 2005

Stoplights

Tonight, as I was driving home, I was struck with the thought of how much my life is like driving. I'm headed down a stretch of road, doing pretty well, building up a good speed, momentum and the like, when all of a sudden a red light hinders me. Finally it turns green and I'm on my way again. A mile down the road it happens again. Again and again, as I get going, those pesky stoplights bog me down. Lately, I feel like I've been sitting at a stoplight that is malfunctioning. It won't turn green and there's no cop to wave me thru. I'm just sitting here waiting for something to happen. I'm tired of sitting at the stoplights. Give me the open highway where I can get my speed going, slip the cruise control on, put on some good tunes and make good time to my destination. They say, "It's not the destination but the journey that counts." Well, a journey at a dead stop is pretty dull. At least show me a little of my destination. Show me on a map where I'm headed. Give me a goal to reach for. Right now, I'm broke down in the ditch waiting for a tow truck.

No comments: