Thursday, September 21, 2006

Cyril and Methodius

Gosh, I am enjoying this book on the history of Christianity. It really is showing me that the church has been screwed up from day one. Here's a little tidbit that really hit home.

"They (Germans) condemned the religion of Cyril and Methodius on two grounds: it was not in Latin, like Catholicism; and they had omitted the words 'and the Son' from the creed. Cyril and Methodius of course explained that the filioque clause was a western addition to the original creed, and that Latin was not the only or even the original language of the liturgy ans scriptures; that communicating with people in language they could understand was what mattered, holiness lying in the meaning not the sound of the words."

I can't tell you how many times I've heard things like that over the years. Things like, "I can't go to that church anymore because that preacher doesn't use the King James Bible." It really amazes me how ignorant people can be...especially religious folk. They know everything they've been taught in church, right or wrong, but they don't know the Bible. I had someone get angry with me one time because I told them that Jesus taught his disciples (and ultimately us) how to pray. They didn't believe it and when I told them I would show it too them they said something to the effect of, "Oh that's right. Just shove your seminary education in my face. You're so smart and we're so dumb." Geez!
So, I guess what I'm saying is...and I think it's been said before somewhere...that we should work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12). Work it out. Read. Study. Pray. Don't just believe what the preacher man is telling you. Go find out for yourself. Then it will really feel like it's yours.

Source: A Short History of Christianity by Stephen Tomkins

No comments: