Tuesday, September 26, 2006

You're Really Full of Bad Church

The other day, I was messing around with the magnetic poetry on the fridge at work. Someone had come up with "You're really full of church." Being the rascal that I am, I searched the fridge for a word I could insert to change this boring phrase into a masterpiece. I found the word bad, inserted it, and now it sings.
In all seriousness, I think this phrase is full of truth. There are folks out there that are just full of bad church. Bad theology, bad relationships, bad leadership, bad leadership, bad worship, and bad preaching. I know because I am one of them. I am in the process of trying to figure out what I believe in regards to everything. I am keeping some stuff and tossing other stuff where it belongs. My "Dark Night of the Soul" is shaking the foundations of my faith. Some of it wasn't very solid ground to begin with. I've wanted to give up on Church and God and the whole business but, like Jeremiah, I have a "fire in my bones" that won't go out. So, this remnant of belief is getting rearranged. It's been a good/bad experience but mostly bad. So, all you Bad Church Casualties, hang in there. There just might be a light at the end of the tunnel.
But then again, what do I know? While messing with the fridge poetry, I also came up with "Change your manners. You'll please the dog." Brilliant.

Special thanks to Mark for the appropriate church sign.

No comments: