Monday, October 09, 2006

Humbug!

Tonight was a disappointing night. We all received our cast assignments for A Christmas Carol tonight and the results were less than thrilling. I would be perfectly willing to admit a strong case of envy but I am rather disappointed for some of the other folks in the class as well. In my opinion, poor choices were made in the casting. I was also a little disappointed while doing the read through in that it didn't seem that the instructor was as thoroughly prepared as she should have been.
One thing that I am struggling with is the void in my life where theatrical experiences used to be. Sure, I work for a theatre...as a custodian. I don't get to act or write or do any of the creative stuff. On the East Coast, at least I had a bit of a network to plug into. Enough people knew me so that, on occasion, I would get to teach at a conference or help with a script or something. Out here, a big, fat nothing. I'm so thankful that I am still being asked to collaborate on scripts for Summersalt in SC. It's one of the highlights of my year. I really miss what used to fill that theatrical void in my life. I really do. And I totally do not know what to do to try and get it back.
So there, I've vented. I've whined without the cheese to go with it. Hopefully, I will feel better tomorrow and I will attempt to have a professional attitude about this and give my best despite my feelings. I really hate theatrical folk who pout and whine and pitch fits and I don't want to be one of those people. So, I beat my head against the wall, curse into the wind, blog, and go about my business.
I hope.

No comments: