Saturday, October 14, 2006

Third Place

"The Third Place is a term used in the concept of community building to refer to social surroundings separate from the two usual social environments of home and the workplace."*

Last night, Sarah and I hosted the arts group from church. It was a great time of discussing issues of faith and art and also a great time of fellowship. Last night we discussed truth in art. I was a bit puzzled about where we were going with it but caught on toward the end. I'll work on another post with my thoughts about that later.
After a year and a half being in Seattle, it's great to finally have a third place. (Thanks to Mark for introducing this concept to me on his blog) We seem to really click with these folks and we are so happy about that. It's been a bit lonely out here with so few friends. I think the group of folks that met with us last night will be our core. Art is such a big part of who Sarah and I are that it's nice to be around a bunch of folks who understand that. They came right in to our home, looked at the art on our walls, toured our studio, and understood. They don't think it's weird or strange. They understand because they are artists too. I'm really looking forward to see how these relationships pan out. I really hope it can be a third place for Sarah and I.

*Source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

becca said...

Love the term, I've never heard it. I look forward to hearing that the two of you have indeed found such a place.