Saturday, September 22, 2007

On The House

Friday night I braved the bohemian streets of Capitol Hill to check out a possible art venue. I finally found the place but it was a miracle since they had inverted a couple of numbers in the address. Once there, I met Lindsey who is coodinating the art shows. We talked about the venue and eventually settled on a November show for me. I found out that On The House is a ministry of a church that meets there as well. (the name escapes me at the moment) I met some really nice folks and stayed quite a bit longer than I had expected. One girl I met had done some hair work for Taproot in the past and another was a spunky asian girl who had, at one time, attended Bob Jones University. She explained how she emerged from that place a rebellious atheist. (I'm not surprised) I thought it was cool what they were doing...providing a safe place for folks to hang out in with free coffee, comedy nights, art shows, movie screenings, etc. I've done that type of ministry before. It's hard and thankless work but worth it if you can invest in people's lives. I hope they're successful.

No comments: