Saturday, June 21, 2008

Booklist

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

No reason to include a synopsis. We all know the story. Or do we? I read it so I could see if the story matches what pop culture has made of it. It doesn't match. It looks nothing like the original. In the short story, Hyde is a dwarf. In recent movies like Van Helsing and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hyde is a gigantic, muscular hulk-like creature. All in all, I found the story to be rather dull so I tend to like the improvements pop culture has made on it. I understand it's basic message of duality, good vs. evil, yin-yang...I just didn't find it all that interesting.

Letting Go of God - Julia Sweeney (Audio)

This is not so much an audiobook as a recording of Sweeney's one-woman show chronicling her journey from believer to skeptic. I had heard a lot about it so I thought I'd give it a listen. It is very entertaining and has much to say, in a humorous way, about some of the inherently stupid things about religion. Although she doesn't go into detail it seems Sweeney really struggled and studied and wrestled her way to a life without God. It's heartbreaking to listen to her as she tells of the moment when the thought, "There is no God" crept into her mind.
Her story has no bearing on my faith struggles but it's nice to hear perspectives from both sides of the argument. Whether you believe or don't, this recording is worth a listen.

No comments: