Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I Don't Understand!

I recently heard from another friend in ministry who is getting canned. When I hear about stuff like this, it makes my blood boil. Mostly, I sympathize because I've been there, done that, got the Christian t-shirt, and burned it in anger. Why does it have to be this way? I don' t understand.
- I don't understand a friend who is a youth minister getting canned because he was reaching out to the "wrong kind" of kids.
- I don't understand ministers who walk into their offices one day and, with no warning, get canned. No excuse, no reason, just, "Get out of here...now!"
Is that Christian behavior? I don't think so. Here are some other things I don't understand.
- I don't understand a Christian camp that changes lives getting personnel and weeks taken away because they didn't make enough money.
- I don't understand an entire creative department at a Christian school getting dissolved because the new President doesn't think creativity and ministry belong together.
- I don't understand a church that has a Family Life Center (with gym, game tables, etc.) that is never open and especially not available to the youth of the church because they might "tear something up."
- I don't understand a church that tells people that if you are living for God you will be financially rich...and people believe that!
Yes, there's a lot I don't understand. I don't understand how money and personality and ego and materialism and power became more important than preaching Jesus. I don't understand how this stuff and more continues to go on day by day, year by year and God does nothing about it. God, I'm asking you...where are you and why don't you do something about all this.
I don't understand.

No comments: