Friday, October 23, 2009

Fire!

Today was not a good day. As I was getting ready for work this morning I checked my email. A friend had asked if I knew more about the fire at the restaurants next to Taproot Theatre where Sarah and I work. I had no idea so I started searching online. Sure enough, the restaurants were on fire and the condition of the theatre was unknown. Sarah and I got ready and headed up there as quick as we could. We found several co-workers standing at Bartell, waiting for word. Eventually we all headed to the admin offices (located down the street). It was then that plans began to emerge. Since the state of the theatre was unknown, plans began to take shape to continue the show in a new venue. Seattle's theatre community rallied and a venue was found. As I am writing this, my wife, the actors and crew of Enchanted April are rehearsing in the space at Seattle Children's Theatre. There will be 2 shows tomorrow, 2 and 8pm.
Eventually we were able to enter the theatre. There is a lot of water damage. We salvaged costumes, props, anything needed for the show and a truck was dispatched downtown to begin preparations. I stayed behind to play watchdog. I ended up talking to a couple of news people, some folks who came by to give well wishes, our insurance broker, firemen, and the guys from the restoration crew. I left around 5. The firemen are on 24 hour vigil since there are hot spots and trouble areas that could go up again. They will remain until they are sure it's out. The restoration crew are hopefully extracting water and doing what they do best. The Red Cross were there passing out food and beverages to any and all who needed them.
There'll be a lot of work ahead but the theatre will, I'm certain, be all fixed up in no time. It's hard to see the good in a situation like this but I, as well as many others, sense that a lot of good is going to come out of this. All we have to do is wait and see.
My friend Jeff also wrote about today. You can read his blog here.

No comments: