Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I Don't Agree

"To say that a work of art is good, but incomprehensible to the majority of men, is the same as saying of some kind of food that it is very good but that most people can't eat it."

I got this quote off the status of someone on Facebook. Without thinking about it too much, I would have to disagree with it. Now, I'm not about to get into a lengthy discussion about the definition of art or what make a piece of art good but I would like to address this quickly. To say a work of art isn't good because a majority of people do not comprehend it is absurd. To relate this to my own art, there are some people who enjoy my art and there are some who do not. If that group who does not is the majority, do we write my art off as no good? Not in my book. So many things contribute to the opinion of whether a piece of art is deemed good or not; environment, education, execution, culture, experience, etc. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
I'm sure there's much more to say about this but I have to get ready for work. If anyone else out there has an opinion, chime in. Let's have a discussion. And does anyone know who said this? I'd like to know so I can punch his/her lights out. (just kidding)

No comments: