Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Booklist

Blue Like Jazz by Don Miller - "I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. . . . I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened." In Donald Miller's early years, he was vaguely familiar with a distant God. But when he came to know Jesus Christ, he pursued the Christian life with great zeal. Within a few years he had a successful ministry that ultimately left him feeling empty, burned out, and, once again, far away from God. In this intimate, soul-searching account, Miller describes his remarkable journey back to a culturally relevant, infinitely loving God.*

I liked this book. It was a simple read, a bit weird at times but pretty satisfying. I will admit, at times, it seemed as though he was writing as if to say, "Look at me. See how weird I am. So that must mean I'm cool." But I got past feeling like this and made it through the book. I really hope he's legit because it would be great to know there are folks out there that feel the same way I do about some things that have to do with spirituality, God and the church. Honestly, I can't believe this got published by a Christian publisher no less. Usually they only publish politically/spiritually correct stuff. So, Don Miller, if you are listening...Keep on truckin' and I'll pray that you don't get blindsided by the religious right some day.

*Book description from Amazon

No comments: