Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Booklist

Y: The Last Man: Unmanned (Vol. 1) by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
In this comic, a mysterious plague kills every male animal on earth except for Yorick and his monkey Ampersand.
That synopsis is short but loaded with fun. Perhaps this whole series was based on the Beatle's song Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey. Anyway, a friend at church asked me if I had read this series and I said no. He then told me it was one of the best things going in comics so naturally I got curious. So, I grabbed the first volume out of the library and read it. It's pretty good. I won't say it knocked my socks off. Perhaps that will come in future volumes. It certainly has the potential to be great. I just wish the art was better. As far as comics go, I'd say the art is a bit below average. Art is pretty important to me. I hope the story gets fantastic because the art is leaving me cold.

No comments: