Saturday, May 31, 2008

Beaches

This week found us at the beach twice. Despite meteorologist's predictions we had nice weather quite a few days this week. Going to the beach is a fairly regular thing for us but it has become more difficult since a landslide took out the main road in December. Now, to get to Golden Gardens, we have to drive nearly all the way into Ballard then double back. All in all, it's only a couple of minutes out of the way and our entire trek to the beach takes 5 - 10 minutes tops. I love the beach here in a different way than the beaches from back home. Back home, I get my fill of the sun and sand pretty quickly. It just gets too hot to quickly for it to be fun for too long. Here, I can find a spot and sit for quite a while. The weather is spectacular. Yesterday, I had to go in long pants because it was a bit chilly. Still, it was a beautiful day and we enjoyed it alot.
I love to go at low tide. There's much more to explore during that time. I need to find time this week to go because we are going to experience the lowest tides of the year. It's also fun to see the ships passing thru from the ports of Seattle to the ocean. Yesterday we saw a departing cruise ship and it made us long for another trip to Alaska. When we left Seattle on our cruise it was fun to stand on the deck and identify all of our personal landmarks. I don't know why I love the water so much. Perhaps it's because I was raised near the water. But I also love mountains and I was raised nowhere near them. That's one of the reasons I love Seattle. You've got water and mountains in abundance. It's wonderful.
Hopefully, if the weather will cooperate, we are going to get an annual pass for the Argosy Cruises tomorrow and take our first cruise. It's supposed to rain and be cloudy but the weather people around here are wrong almost every day. They are the only people I know who can be dead wrong on a daily basis and still keep their jobs. Sign me up.



No comments: