Friday, December 16, 2005

Tell Me

Tell me;
Did you ever leave the only home you’ve ever known?
Did you ever say goodbye to a loved one for a little while?
Did you ever cry like a baby?

Tell me;
Did you ever grow up poor, having to work with your hands to make ends meet?
Did you ever alienate those around you because you were different?
Did you ever almost get killed by the people you grew up with?

Tell me;
Did you ever get tempted to be rich and famous?
Did you ever go hungry?
Did you ever feel like the Devil was breathing down your neck?

Tell me;
Did you ever laugh at a wedding and cry at a funeral?
Did you ever trace a child’s cheek with your finger?
Did you ever hug a friend?

Tell me;
Did you ever embrace a man with an infectious disease?
Did you ever see a dead man rise?
Did you ever forgive a whore?

Tell me;
Did you ever share a meal with someone you love?
Did you ever pray for an escape from death?
Did you ever get betrayed?

Tell me;
Did you ever get put on trial for something you didn’t do?
Did you ever get beaten within an inch of your life?
Did you ever die?

Tell me;
Did you ever feel the coldness of a grave?
Did you ever descend into the depths of hell?
Did you ever see a dead man rise?

Tell me;
Did you ever see hope in the eyes of the hopeless?
Did you ever help a doubter believe?
Did you ever promise someone that you would return?

I did. For you.

Copyright 2005 Marty Gordon

No comments: