Thursday, December 14, 2006

Booklist

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells
A shipwreck survivor is rescued and brought to a mysterious island where strange experiments blur the line between man and beast.
I am trying, from time to time, to read some of the classics I've missed out on over the years. Although I knew the basics of the story of Dr. Moreau, I had never read it before now. I'm glad I did. It's a great yarn that has implications for today's culture. H. G. Wells was truly a visionary writer. I wish someone would do an updated movie of this story. I think it could be fantastic if done well. Of course, the one with Marlon Brando was a fiasco. I haven't seen the one made in the 70's but I'm going to rent it. I'm terribly interested in the seeing the one made in the 30's. I hear it's the darkest and best.

1 comment:

becca said...

While I was in Seattle I got to be involved in a reading group with some of the other teachers in our school. One of the writers I was introduced to during that time was H.G. Wells. I'd probably read something of his in school, but I couldn't remember anything... I read a book of his short stories and ended up really enjoying some of his stuff. Some of it didn't strike me all that much, but wow, the stories that did were so good. I was also introduced to "To Kill a Mockingbird" through that group. I had made it all the way through high school and college without reading it somehow. I absolutely loved it. Maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I'd read it when I was younger... I can't say. Now I'm trying to read at least one of the 'classics' I missed every year because I was surprised at how much I enjoyed these books. I know I never would have read them if I hadn't been involved in that group. I want to be introduced to good books- good literature, and it seems a shame that I haven't read some of the books considered to be wonderful. Sometimes they are not so wonderful, but the times they are have been worth the effort...