Saturday, July 21, 2007

Scary Rotter and the Monsters of Marketing Mayhem

I just picked up my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I did not pre-order nor did I stand in a line at midnight to get my copy. I calmly walked into my neighborhood department store today and bought my 40% off (thank goodness) copy. I will not begin to devour it immediately because I have a book I am reading right now and I want to finish it uninterupted. I may make Deathly Hallows my breakfast reading until I can give it the bedtime reading spot.
I will be sad that the exploits of Harry will be over. The books are good and worth looking forward to. I will not miss the marketing mayhem surrounding the series. It's gotten way too crazy for my tastes. The new book's cover price is $34.99. That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Sarah likens the whole thing to idolatry and I think I would have to agree with that.
So, as I weave my way through the Deathly Hallows at a snails pace, please keep the spoilers to yourself. I will be the guy walking by you wearing the blindfold with his hands in his ears going, "La-la-la-la-la-la."

No comments: