Saturday, November 07, 2009

Fire/Fear

Our neighborhood has been experiencing a rash of arsons in the past few months. A couple of weeks ago, arson destroyed 4 businesses and severely damaged the theatre where we work. I'd like to say that's the last one but there have been a couple since. It's scary because you don't know when/where they will strike next. There seems to be no method to the madness.
I lost an apartment to fire in 1999. It affected me deeply at the time. In hindsight, I know that I was suffering from post traumatic stress for at least 6 months following the event. Once I was in my new apt. I woke up nearly every night thinking there was another fire. I would have to get up and check everything before being able to go back to bed. For a while after that fire, everytime I heard a siren I tensed up.
This new situation is different. I am handling it better but I am finding that the sound of sirens is bothering me again. I am also fearful about the random nature of the arsons. I find myself dwelling on the fear that our apt. may get torched. I know the fear is irrational but it's there all the same. I hope they catch this firebug. The whole neighborhood, including me, needs some peace.

No comments: