Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Places I've Lived


View Larger Map

This particular "places I've lived" installment is difficult for me. One of my many mistakes in life.
After I graduated from UWF, I decided to move to Auburn to attend grad school. Why Auburn? I'm not sure. I don't know what my mindset was at the time. Perhaps it's because my good friend Rusty lived up there with his family? I just don't know. I do know I shouldn't have done it but my life is full of those moments.
So, I moved to Auburn but I was not accepted into the program yet. (dumb) I shared an apartment with a friend and got a job at Ander's Book Store. Eventually I found out that they weren't going to accept me as a student. I met with someone and they told me, "We can't teach you anything." Well, not to sound arrogant but I already knew that. I had just spent many years bouncing from school to school learning that my education was up to me all along. All I wanted from them was a studio (all grad students got one) and to left alone...with occasional feedback from whoever. Regardless of that, they rejected me. So, I was living in Auburn for no reason.
I stayed for a while. Rusty and I started a band. I think we had one gig while I was in it. Mainly I just worked and watched TV alot. What an exciting life.
I did have a few interesting adventures while there. During my first week or so there, I was awakened in the middle of the night by GNR being played very loudly thru the wall. I stormed around to the other side of the apartment and threatened pain and death to the 2 young GNR fans. I eventually ended up befriending one of them. I also remember going out to an all-you-can-eat hot wing place with some friends and just pigging out. It was good but we were hurting bad the next morning. My Uncle T. L. came up and stayed with me to attend the Florida/Auburn game. It was fun hanging out with him.
All in all, Auburn is a chapter that I regret. It was a bit of a waste of time. I had some fun and some good times with friends but it went nowhere.

No comments: