Friday, June 08, 2007

Booklist

Y: The Last Man - Cycles by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
"Cycles continues the story of young escape artist Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand, the only survivors of a mysterious plague that killed all the male mammals on Earth."*
Alas, poor Yorick. He's wandering America trying to make it to California with a scientist and a government agent. Meanwhile, his girlfriend is stranded Down Under, his sister has become a militant Amazon and he and his cohorts have just wandered into a town with a secret.
I'm beginning to enjoy this series a little more. The way this book has been talked about you'd think Vaughan was the equal of Will Shakespeare. Far from the truth I'm afraid. In my opinion, the writing is peppered with too many swear words and cliches. I don't mind swear words. I just rewatched Reservoir Dogs for the umpteenth time the other night. The swearing just seems out of place in this book. Maybe it's the art. It doesn't seem dark enough to convey the subject matter appropriately. I had my doubts about Guerra's art based on the first book. I've had second thoughts based on the sketchbook provided in this volume. She seems to be a better draughtsperson than I first thought. Her pencils are sharp. I think a better inker would provide the book with the proper tone. Jose Marzan's embellishments are too sharp and focused. It gives the book a clean look when the subject matter is gritty and needs to be a bit edgy. Sue me. I'm an artist and I have my opinions.
I'm enjoying these books but they are not the "set the world on fire" stories that I was lead to believe they were. I'll be curious to see what David S. Goyer does with the movie. He ruined Blade by directing the last one himself and I'm not impressed with his contributions to the new Batman films. Only time will tell.

Source: amazon.com

No comments: