Thursday, June 21, 2007

Booklist

Girl Genius Vol. 1 by Phil and Kaja Foglio
"In a time when the Industrial Revolution has become an all-out war, Mad Science rules the World... with mixed success. At Transylvania Polygnostic University, Agatha Clay is a student with trouble concentrating and rotten luck. Dedicated to her studies but unable to build anything that actually works, she seems destined for a lackluster career as a minor lab assistant. But when the University is overthrown, a strange "clank" stalks the streets and it begins to look like Agatha might carry a spark of Mad Science after all." *
This is not the greatest graphic novel I have ever read but it was entertaining. The reason I was drawn to it was because it's illustrated by Phil Foglio. I remember Phil from the 80's and his illustrated version of Robert Aspirin's Myth Adventures. Who knew he was still around doing comics? I didn't. So I thought I'd give it a try. It whet my appetite enough that I will continue reading. (there are 5 volumes so far) The first was in sepia tones but the newer ones are in glorious color. If the story doesn't get any better at least I can feast my eyes on Phil's unique cartoon stylings.

No comments: