Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Booklist

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
Since there are several folks I know who haven't read the book yet (my wife included since she's been waiting for me to finish) I won't divulge any spoilers in this review. I will say that I'd like to sit in a room with some other Potter fans around my age to see what they think. All I can say is that I think it's my least favorite of the books and the weakest. The story takes it's sweet time to get going, then when you think it's going it slows down again. I think that's why it took me so long to read. I had a hard time getting into it. I wish I could comment on some specifics but they would be spoilers. Darn! Anyway, once the book gets going again it's near the end. Then it stops for a whole chapter of exposition and then when you think it will start up again, it's the end. It was so anti-climactic. And then, the final chapter was just kinda sickly sweet.
So, not my favorite Harry Potter book and a disappointing end to a great series. I will miss Harry. I guess my consolation should be that there are 2 more movies to look forward to but, based on the last one, that doesn't get my hopes up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finished reading HP7 for the second time today.

SPOILER ALERT! Don't read below if you haven't finished HP7!!!!!

You thought it was slow? Man, I thought the action started from the beginning, with him leaving the Dursleys. Loved the Snape stuff - I so wanted his redemption. I liked it for the most part, but was disappointed about the use of Unforgivable curses. Also, HP was a little too Christ-like...I felt like I was reading the Last Temptation or something.

Rowling has said that she plans to write an encyclopedia for the HP world. That should be cool...

Anonymous said...

I agree.

I finished reading it 3 days after it came out & I was terribly dissapointed. It could have easily been a 200 page book without losing anything important.

For me, it lacked orginality. In other words, it was too formulaic. Aslan & older Obi Won would have been proud of her, however.

Oh well, she's supposedly going to write a Potter Encyclopedia in the future. Maybe it will answer some of the still unanswered questions.

Blessings bro,
MEB

becca said...

I've avoided reading this 'cuz I didn't want it to end... I knew that there was so much built up in my mind that there's NO way it could have achieved perfection. Well, I just finished it, and I wasn't disappointed. Maybe 'cuz by now I wasn't riproaring about it... It was NOT perfect, but I liked it. It was too slow and I think it could have lost between 50 & 100pages without much story gone. But I liked it, and I did like the epilogue. Yes, it was a little too sweet and not very informative, but I wanted that little bit to know the rest of the story...