Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Booklist

Ultimate Fantastic Four Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar and Adam Kubert
This book is part of the Ultimate Marvel line of comics which updates classic characters for a contemporary audience. A friend told me about this line. I don't keep up with comics anymore. I usually just read what the library has. So, after he told me, I checked to see if the library had it and they did. He actually told me to read Ultimate Spider-Man but I picked this one up first. I always loved the FF because the stories were always a good blend of sci-fi, fantasy and everything else thrown in for good measure. Of course, the Thing was my fave.
This book is pretty good. The story is interesting and the update actually works. I won't give away anything just in case there's some nerd out there that wants to read it and be surprised. I will probably see if the library has anymore. I enjoy graphic novels for light reading sometimes.
Now, let me rant here for a second. I wonder how many times you can update comic characters without it getting ridiculous? I actually gave up on comics for 2 reasons. 1) The price has become outrageous. 2) There are so many titles featuring any given character that continuity is out the window and you just can't keep up. A lot of what you see out there now is gimmick for the sake of making a buck. Hey, I'm not against making a buck but let's not get crazy. I can't figure out which Wolverine is the real one because there are so many versions floating around out there. Same goes for every character. And then there are the movie versions. It makes your head swim. I can't keep up so I don't. Thank goodness for the library.

No comments: