Monday, April 13, 2009

Booklist

Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
I'll skip the synopsis because, hopefully, everybody knows the story. I decided to read it because the theatre I work for is doing the play very soon. I also figured it was high time I read it since it's probably something I should have read as a kid. I enjoyed the book but found the beginning slow. After they got thru Asia the story picked up and clipped along until the end. I can't wait to see how our theatre stages this play with only 5 actors and a sparce stage. I know they can do it I just can't wait to see how it's done.

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street by Mark Kneece and Rich Ellis
Picked this up on a lark. Turns out the Savannah College of Art and Design has been turning some of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone episodes into graphic novels. I've never seen this particular episode so I can't compare the TV version to the comic. I wasn't particularly impressed with the art but the story was typical 1950's paranoia sci-fi to the letter. I'll have to see if I can find the episode so I can watch it.

24Seven by various writers and artists
24seven features a who's who of today's best writers and artists from comics, film and animation, telling tales of robots in the city that never sleeps. In the vein of Flight, these stories run a cross-genre gamut, from robot zombies to a prison break to a bizarre feud between a Siamese DJ team. 24seven has romance, action, horror... everything you want, all told by a cross-section of the most diverse writers and artists you'll find on the printed page.
Another library spur-of-the-moment pick. In many cases the art is amazing which is what got my attention in the first place. As is the case with many compilations, some stories were good and some were not. In this books case, most were just weird. But, like I said, I enjoyed the art.

No comments: