Sunday, April 26, 2009

Booklist

Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan
A young man attends a freak show, becomes entangled with a vampire, and his life is changed forever.
I had been hearing about this book on and off for a few years. Recently I discovered that it was being made into a movie so I thought that merited me checking it out. My first impression of the story is that it's dark...very dark. Considering that this is a YA novel I am on the line on whether I think it's too dark or not. I certainly couldn't have handled this material when I was 10. Perhaps today's kids are a bit more jaded. (That was supposed to sound sarcastic) The story is not particularly deep nor well-written. It was a FAST read and I am a slow reader. It does keep you interested but I found myself skimming alot. Since there's no flair to the writing I didn't feel as though I was missing anything. I got the basic story and a basic story is all there is. I'm not sure if I'll continue with this series. I suppose it will depend on how desperate for something to read I get.

No comments: