Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Boats, Planes and Life in Seattle

As I piddle around in my temporary home here in Seattle, every once in a while you can hear a boat whistle out on the sound. It's very interesting to hear that. I've lived near trains all my life and am used to hearing a train whistle blowing through in the middle of the night...but not a boat. It's pretty cool. If I stand out on the balcony, I can see many types of ships pass by. Most interesting are the cruise ships. They leave the Port of Seattle and pass here on their way to the ocean. They are huge! Sarah and I hope to be able to do an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon. It's nice to be near the water again after being landlocked in SC and NC. Some mornings, I can go outside and smell the salt-tinged odor of the sound. It makes me think of Pensacola and I feel at home. Another thing that made me feel at home lately was the presence of the Blue Angels. They flew a show over Lake Washington last weekend. I saw them practicing their routine from a distance on Friday and Saturday. We used to go to Pensacola Beach the day before a Blues show and watch them practice. Less crowded, same show. Seattle is nice. I know I'll like it here.

No comments: