Monday, August 22, 2005

Booklist

There Are An Awful Lot of Weirdos in our Neighborhood and Here Come the Aliens! by Colin McNaughton - I discovered this guy because I found a copy of the aliens book at the local thrift store. He writes some wickedly funny verse for kids (and adults) and the illustrations in the Aliens book are wonderful. He seems to draw inspiration (somewhat) from Shel Silverstein which is just fine with me. What a great poet to be inspired by. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more books by McNaughton.
Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl - I must admit that this is the first Dahl book I've read but it won't be the last. In this one, he distorts fairy tales to suit his darkish sense of humor. It's all done in rhyme so it's a hoot to read. I've been on a real rhyme kick lately. Must be a phase or perhaps it's the moon. I'm rhyming in August when it should have been June.
Fantastic Four Visionaries: George Perez Volume 1 - Not sure if it's adult to list comics and children's books in my reading list but - dog gone it - they are just too cool! As a kid, the Fantastic Four was one of my favorite comics and George Perez did a brilliant stint on the book. The good ones are reprinted in this collection. I love it when my childhood faves appear in volumes I can collect. My comic collection disappeared years ago. I sold it off to go on a mission trip.
Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Volume 4 - Byrne is, by far, my favorite comic artist of all time. He breathed new life into the X-Men and then branched out into other books. His run on FF was beyond fantastic. I am snatching up these volumes as I can find them on the cheap. Half Price Books is one my favorite Seattle haunts.
Young Justice: A League of their Own - Yes, more comics. The local library has graphic novels in their collection and I check out a few at a time. This one is about all the young heroes (Robin, Impulse, Superboy, Wonder Girl, etc) striking out on their own with the older Justice League breathing down their necks. It was juvenile but entertaining. Not near as good as George Perez's run on Teen Titans by in the 80's, but enjoyable nonetheless.

No comments: