Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Day in Everett

Well, I haven't had much to blog about lately. I guess I've been reluctant to share the tedium of everyday life with the world-at-large. I wake up, go to work, come home, work on art, do chores, spend a little time with my wife, and go to bed. It's all so exciting. I don't know why you all wouldn't want to hear about it in all of it's minute details?
Yesterday I had to spend a couple of hours at work. The summer camps for kids have started and that means my schedule will be wonky until they end. After work, Sarah and I made a day of it in Everett. Everett is about 30-40 minutes north depending on traffic. It's a more rural area compared with Seattle's urban sprawl. The people up there seem more like "just folks" than the typical Seattle crowd which can be described as a bunch of would be hipsters who are trying way too hard to be cool. The Everett crowd was refreshing. We shopped at Michael's, Half-Price Books, Old Navy, Borders and Wal-Mart. Some of it was fun shopping but alot of it was necessary daily life kinda stuff. We took a break after a couple of hours and got ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. I usually end up being disappointed with my choice but not this time. I opted for the French Toast ice cream with graham cracker crust, apple pie filling and caramel all mixed in. It was "slap your mama" good! Sarah got this birthday cake mixture with sprinkles and such. It was good too.
After all the shopping, we met our friends Marshall and Joan for dinner at an overpriced Mexican place. We had fun and laughed alot. We sat in the bar and they had MTV Espanol playing on the TV. Some of the videos were hilarious. One guy's name was like Osama von Bling or something like that. The hip-hop video "Lean like a Cholo" had us in stitches. And when the live mariachi band kicked in, we couldn't stop laughing.
Afterward, we went to their house and stayed way too late talking. It was a fun day and an even better evening. The weather was great and we got to exercise our shopping bone just a bit. I wish I knew what we were going to do on the 4th. The fireworks show in Seattle is too crazy to get anywhere near. Too many hipsters.

No comments: