Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Booklist

The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley
"In book one of this bestselling series, sisters Sabrina and Daphne are sent to live with their mysterious grandmother, Relda Grimm. The sisters learn they are descendants of the Brothers Grimm, whose famous book of fairy tales is actually a collection of case files. The girls are the latest in a long line of fairy-tale detectives, and their new hometown is filled with Everafters (as magical folks like to be called)—some good and some very, very bad. When a mysterious Everafter sets a giant loose on the town, it’s up to the Sisters Grimm to save the day."*
I read this book on the recommendation of one of the guys in my writer's group. He's a children's librarian so he knows his stuff. He recommended it based on the fact that I am writing a story that skewers traditional fairy tale characters. That said, I enjoyed this book but mostly at the end when it got revved up and really moved. Up until then it was a slow tedious climb of introducing characters and explaining things and blah blah blah. I wish the whole book could have been as good as the ending was. Perhaps I will give the second book a try. Now that Buckley has all the introductions out of the way perhaps he can write the ripsnorting yarn that I would like to read.
*Source: powellsbooks.com

No comments: