Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Discovery Park

Since I'm on vacation, I refuse to just sit around the house all week. This morning I decided to visit Discovery Park. It's the largest park in Seattle and I had never been there before so...no better time than the present.
I like what it says on the map I got at the Visitor's Center. "Discovery Park's role is to provide an open space of quiet and tranquility for the citizens of this region - a sanctuary where they might escape the turmoil of the city and enjoy the rejuvenation which quiet and solitude and an intimate contact with nature can bring." Ah. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it.
I got there around 1o am, got my map and headed out. It is a rather large park. I got tired of walking after about 3 hours. The skies were grey but at least it wasn't raining. I simply walked, enjoyed the semi-quiet (the city still finds little way to intrude) and took pictures. I'll post the rest of my pics on my photo site or you can check them out on my Facebook page.
I still have some work to do on the book but I think I'll try to visit Gasworks Park one day this week. It's another one that I haven't been to yet. Might as well do some stuff since I'm on vacation.

2 comments:

Vintage Racer said...

You'll enjoy Gasworks - there's some great stuff to shoot with the old machinery down there. Take a look on my photo site, you'll see what I mean.

Cassie said...

We used to go down to Gasworks and play sardines at night. Haven't been down there in years. Daybreak Star (Discovery) is one of my favorite parks. Have you been to Blake Island yet (Tillicum Village)? The main attraction is touristy, but it's worth seeing. It's pretty expensive these days, tho. There's also lots of trails to wander on. I'd love to do that sometime. The only times I've been there, we stayed in the main area.