Saturday, March 25, 2006

Booklist

Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer - In the year 2009, physicists conducting an experiment accidentally send the conscienceness of everyone in the world forward in time 21 years. Everyone in the world gets to see nearly 2 minutes of their future. The results of this phenomenon are chaotic, disastrous and miraculous. Is the future malleable or is it fixed? What about free will?
This was a re-read for me. I love this book. I must confess that I don't understand the science talk but it has enough going for it that the science doesn't bog things down. It's a very interesting concept that drives this book and some very interesting questions get asked. What is unusual about this book (and some others by Sawyer) is that faith plays a part in the scheme of things. You don't usually find that in sci-fi. Most sci-fi writers have denied God exists. Sawyer, I would guess in some way, is a believer.

No comments: