Monday, June 30, 2008

Watch This

Over the last few weeks I've watched a few things that I would like to recommend.

Six Feet Under: Season 1 - Sarah and I do not have cable nor do we watch much TV at all. Since TV shows are showing up on DVD we choose to use that option for our convenience. I had heard of this show and decided to give it a try. It's really good and I am looking forward to diving in to the other seasons. The story revolves around perhaps the most dysfunctional family on TV to date. They live in, own and operate a funeral home after their father is killed. Much tragedy and hilarity ensues. A friendly warning: This show is chock full of cursing, straight and gay sex, and graphic depictions of dead bodies. I guess you could say this show is not for kids or Baptists.

Jekyll - This is a BBC miniseries that aired in 2007. It is an extremely smart, well-written retelling of the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The performance by James Nesbitt as Dr. Jackman/Mr. Hyde is simply amazing. I am a fan. Where has this guy been? I am going to be looking for more stuff with him in it.

Weeds: Season 3 - This is another show that is not for kids or Baptists but I love it. It's so irreverent and smart...it just cracks me up. The story surrounds a housewife (played by Mary Louise Parker) who, after her husband dies, starts selling weed to make a living. She is surrounded by perhaps the greatest cast of supporting characters in recent memory. Kevin Nealon is hilarious as Doug the stoner accountant/city councilman and Elizabeth Perkins is a treat.

Wall-E - I don't have to worry about anyone going to see this because Pixar is truly amazing and this one is no exception. The first hour of the movie is virtually dialogue free and yet the story is as clear and wonderful as a summer day. The animation, well, it's Pixar. It's fantastic. Don't wait for DVD. See it in the cinema. It's worth it.

The Incredible Hulk - I had my doubts about this one. I knew it couldn't be worse than Ang Lee's fiasco but doubted it would be much better. I was wrong. While it's not Iron Man good, it is a worthy effort befitting the jade giant that we comic book geeks all know and love. The origin story has changed a bit but I really like what they did with it. It's not out of left field. It makes sense given what's coming in the future related to the Avengers. The cast is stellar (Norton, Tyler, Hurt, Roth, Nelson). What's not to like? The only casting choice I don't agree with is Ty Burrell as Dr. Leonard Samson. How they transform Burrell into the future Doc Samson is beyond me. I'll also be interested to see how Tim Blake Nelson looks as the Leader. I must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the updated look for the Abomination. I wish they would have kept the fins on his head in some way. The most exciting thing about this movie is the exclusion of some 70 minutes of material that, I'm sure, will make the DVD a must have. There is even supposed to be a scene including Captain America. Can't wait to see that.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm still looking forward to seeing the three H's...the Happening, Hancock and Hellboy. I'll let you know what I think after I see them. TTFN.

No comments: