Monday, October 05, 2009

Improv Lessons

I'm taking an improv class at the theatre where I work. I've been feeling of late like I need another creative outlet besides my art. Art is my passion but I sometimes feel like it's getting stale. I need something to kick start some other areas of my brain...or something.
Tonight I picked up on something. I've always known that, in improv, I'm a better responder than starter. If someone else starts things up, I can go with it. But if I'm left to start it up, it's tough. I feel like I'm freezing up or that my ideas are lame. Tonight I made the connection to real life situations in that I am a good responder but not starter. Put me in a room full of strangers and I will clam up and not say a word. I will not start a conversation. But if someone comes up to me and starts things up, I will respond. Most times, if I'm in that corner not saying a work, I know that I should be approaching people, starting conversations...but I just don't know how. My brain freezes up and I don't know what to say.
Okay, so I've had the revelation. Now, how do I overcome this?

1 comment:

becca said...

If you figure out how to deal with it, please let me know the secret!
I have exactly the same problem.
And I noticed it most profoundly when I took an Improv class at Bellevue Community. I got to take a semester with one of the guys from Jet City Improv. I loved the class, had a great time, but definitely confirmed that I'm not an Improv actor. I used a lot of what I learned in that class while teaching though...