Friday, August 03, 2007

SAM, I Am...Not Impressed

Last night, Sarah and I headed downtown to take advantage of the Seattle Art Museum's free admission night. Neither of us have been and, since we are both artists, we thought we should go.
We parked at Pacific Place and as we hit the street Roger Bart walked by. He's been in tons of stuff including Desperate Housewives, the Producers and the Stepford Wives. It seems he's in Young Frankenstein at the Paramount. I wish we could see it but it's just too expensive for us right now. After that quickie celebrity encounter we had a so-so dinner at P. F. Chang's. We usually love the place but it just wasn't up to snuff.
After dinner we headed to the museum. It was pretty crowded and very loud. They had some ethnic band playing in the corner of the lobby. Since the museum lobby is all hard surfaces, the music was bouncing around like crazy. It was way too loud. We went upstairs to see the art and there just wasn't that much to see. I loved seeing the aboriginal paintings and there were pieces I liked by Jasper Johns, Lee Krasner and Chuck Close but overall the collection isn't that impressive. I would have to rank Seattle as the worst museum in a big city I've ever seen. I guess I'm spoiled. I'm so used to going to a museum and having little eye orgasms when I see something amazing. That didn't happen here. Heck, I've seen better shows in Mobile, AL...so that's pretty pathetic.
We checked out the museum shop (yawn) and headed home. Next first thursday we're going to the Sci Fi Museum again. That place rocks!

No comments: