Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Down in the Dumps II

I can't remember when this happened but I think it was during my time at seminary with some overlap after I graduated and lived in Birmingham. After my dad retired he went through a phase of driving around collecting cardboard and taking it to the recycling place for money. At one time, the money was good. He would collect several days a week and make several hundred dollars for his efforts. I don't remember how long he did it but it was for quite a while. Whenever I was home for a visit I would usually go with him just to spend time with him and to make a little bit of money for myself. I used to climb right into the dumpster and throw the cardboard out to him.
The best part of the whole deal was the stuff you would find amidst the cardboard. I can't remember everything but highlights include a Calvin Klein wallet, a bunch of neckties, and toys. Some businesses knew my dad was coming so they would save their cardboard for him. He got pretty tight with the ladies at one Tuesday Morning store. Sometimes they would even put loot aside for him.
As time went on, the price of recycled cardboard went down and it wasn't worth my dad's time to do it anymore. Also, they moved out into the country about 20 minutes outside of Pensacola so it wasn't worth the drive either.
So there you have it. A brief history of my dumpster diving experiences. For those of you who thought you were going to hear a tale of homelessness and despair, I apologize. Instead, you were treated to a tale of white trash innovation. Only in America, bubba!

1 comment:

becca said...

They have transfer sites here outside Fairbanks' city limits. People bring their trash to this lot with about 15 big dumpsters that are then emptied about once a week and taken to the city dump.
Beth has found so much wood there (that's her favorite painting surface), plus Jake is always coming home with strange random books people throw away. Dumpster diving is an Alaskan sport.