Monday, July 25, 2005

Booklist

What I've read or am reading:
The Loch by Steve Alten - Marine biologist Zachary Wallace must uncover the mysteries of Loch Ness in time to save his father who is accused of a loch related murder. Weaving together elements of Scottish history and new theories about "Nessie," Alten has spun a tale that is a brisk, fun read. Of course, I'm a sucker for a story about monsters...but that's just me.
Arthur and the Minimoys by Luc Besson - 10 year old Arthur must find and save the world of the Minimoys, a race that is only 3/4 inch tall, in order to discover the fate of his missing grandfather. This book was written by Besson, director of such films as The Professional and The Fifth Element. I wanted to enjoy this but it's very elementary. I'm sure it's a very good little adventure for kids (for whom it was intended) but I found it flat and dull. Oh well, guess I shouldn't read kids books, huh?
The Stand by Stephen King - A plague reduces the world's population while an ancient evil grows to challenge the few people who are left. I put this book down after getting 3/4 through it. It was a struggle to read. I know it's supposed to be one of King's best but I just couldn't get into it. I much prefer Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon as far as this genre is concerned.

No comments: